* Try to be as alert as you can; weary travelers make easy prey for pickpockets etc.
* Avoid making long distance calls from your hotel room; it's likely to attract a huge premium.
* Make sure any taxi you get into is legitimate to avoid any shady goings on
* If hiring a car, collision damage insurance/waiver is a good investment
* If hiring a car carefully check it for dents, scratches etc and insist the rental company makes a written note to confirm.
* Carry a 2nd 'dummy' wallet with a small amount of cash in case you are mugged - not likely in
* Be aware of the fierce Australian sun - use sunscreen, wear shades and lip protection.
* Check for hazardous currents/ tides or dangerous marine life before swimming/surfing etc.